Making a Squarespace website multilingual has always been very tricky in the past. Because there was no official solution, we had to use some workaround to make it multilingual, like recreating all post in a translated language
But this was very time consuming and not very performant.
At Weglot, we wanted to change this so we designed a simple yet powerful solution that brings multilingual feature for Squarespace.
- A clean and simple setup : You don't need any coding.
- A proper multilingual solution for Squarespace : this technique is the same that squarespace.com itself is using :) You can't go more official than this.
- A simple way to manage translation : Automatic or manual translations, you control the content.
- SEO optimized. Your Squarespace website will be indexed by Google in all language. You will have subdomains by languages
- You can customize the language button
- We have a nice support team to help you at email@example.com. We are working 100% on multilingual websites and we know Squarespace!
Want to see an example?
Before digging in, you can check an example website I setup : https://weglot-sqspace.com
In this example, you can see the language button in the menu. Try clicking French or Spanish and you will see the URL changes and the translated version is displayed
Let's go (~ 10 minutes)
I will try my best to show how you will make your Squarespace multilingual in less than 10 minutes :)
1. Create an account on Weglot via this link. (~ 1 minute)
This is where you will get all translations and where you will be able to manage the translations. Simply create the account here
2. Enter your domain name and languages you want (~ 1 minute)
In this step, you enter your domain name. Do not enter your Squarespace temporary domain, but your real domain name. It should NOT end by .squarespace.com.
In my example my domain is weglot-sqspace.com, it is already in english and I want to translate it in German + French
3. Configure DNS records (~ 5 minutes)
Now, you will configure DNS records to make sure the subdomains are connected.
The translated version will be on these subdomains once you are finish.
As you can see you need to enter several entries in your DNS record. Go to your Squarespace admin area, in Settings > Domains. Now there are 2 possibilities:
a) If your domain is managed by Squarespace, like on my screenshot, it will appear under "Managed by Squarespace". In that case, click on it, and then "Advanced settings"
Then you can enter the DNS that are prompt, like on my screenshot. At the end, click "Save" at the top.
b) If your domain is manage by a third party (like GoDaddy, Hover, or 1&1, ...), access the DNS records zone and add your entries there. If you are not sure where it is, I can have a look for you. Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
When your entries are done, click "Check DNS" and you should see a green check mark indicating you that the DNS were successfully configured. Click "Next"
4. Install the library (~ 3 minutes)
The last step is to add the JS library that will add the language button on your website.
This is simple : just copy the code that is shown to you and paste it into Settings > Advanced > Code Injection and "Header". If you have already something in this field, it's ok, just put it after.
5. You are done!
You are finish ! Now you will see the language button appear on your website. Give a few minutes to make sure your subdomains are finishing to be setup. Try changing the language and you will see your translated website.
Tips : you can check the status of the subdomains in Settings
6. Optional - Put the language button in the menu (~ 5 minutes)
By default, the language button appears on your the bottom right of your website. But sometimes you want it in the menu, as links.
Go in your Main Navigation and add a link in your menu. The URL should be #Weglot-fr for French for example. Replace the "fr" with the 2 letters code of your language. All code can be found here
7. Ask for help
If you need any help, at anytime, ask us directly at email@example.com. We always answer quickly.